|Bruce Taylor, Deputy City Clerk
Cape Girardeau City Council
Appointments to the Convention and Visitors Bureau Executive Board
The Agreement with the Cape Girardeau Area Chamber of Commerce for operation of the Convention and Visitors Bureau includes the creation of the Convention and Visitors Bureau Executive Board. The City Council and Chamber Board of Directors shall each initially appoint one member for a term of three years, one member for a term of two years, and one member for a term of one year, with all terms expiring on December 31 of each year. All subsequent terms shall be for three years. One of the three City Council appointed member shall be the City Manager.
City Council authorized the execution of an Agreement between the Cape Girardeau Area Chamber of Commerce, Inc., and the City of Cape Girardeau, Missouri, for operation of the Convention and Visitors Bureau at the November 7, 2016, Council Meeting. The Agreement becomes effective January 1, 2017. The Agreement establishes a six-member Convention and Visitors Bureau Executive Board, which will replace the current Executive Board and CVB Task Force. Three members will be appointed by the Chamber Board, one of which will be the Chamber President. Three members will be appointed by the City Council, one of which will be the City Manager.
The Executive Board shall hold open meetings at least quarterly in each calendar year. The Director of the CVB will serve as liaison to the Board and will prepare, post and distribute the agenda for all meetings as required by the Missouri Open Meetings and Records Law. The posting shall include the date, time and location of the meeting, as well as a tentative agenda. Minutes of all meetings shall be prepared and submitted to the City Clerk.
The Board shall have the following duties:
- Provide oversight on the operations of the CVB, including methods of promoting tourism, conventions, meetings and other activities and events.
- Provide input for development of a long-term strategic plan for operations of the CVB, to be prepared by the CVB Director.
- Provide input for the Annual Marketing and Business Plan, including short and long term goals, plans, policies, and proposed projects for the CVB, to be prepared by the CVB Director.
- Provide input for the annual operating budget of the CVB and ensure that the annual operating budget clearly reflects the full cost of CVB operations.
- Submit oversight and input recommendations to the Chamber Board of Directors for final approval.
The following individuals have expressed an interest in serving on the board, and their advisory board applications are attached. Note that Daniel Presson currently serves on the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board.
||Joe Hobbs *
* not a City resident
It is recommended that three appointments be made to the Convention and Visitors Bureau Executive Board to serve initial terms. One appointment will be for a term expiring December 31, 2017; another appointment will be for a term expiring December 31, 2018; and a third appointment will be for a term expiring December 31, 2019. One of the three appointments must be filled by the position of City Manager.
|No Attachments Available|